Saturday, September 18, 2010

Review: Dunkin' Donuts Monkey See Monkey Donut


So, let's get started on today's review.

A few days ago, I was out driving and I noticed my tire was going flat.  I was nowhere near home and didn't know the area at all so I drove around for a few more minutes to find a parking lot to pull into.  I had my 3 year old son with me and wanted to find somewhere we could sit and eat a snack while waiting for AAA to arrive.  Luckily, I found a strip mall that had a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins combo.  We went in and ordered snacks (cheddar cheese bagel twist and tomato basil cheddar bagel twist) and drinks.  While we were waiting for the drinks I spotted a donut I had never seen before.  It's called a Monkey See Monkey Donut.  I ordered two of those as well.  The store was filling up so I didn't want to hold up the line asking questions about it like what filling was in it, etc.  I waited until we got home before trying it, plus I wanted to see what was in it and on top of it first.  According to a Dunkin' Donuts press release it is "a bananas foster-filled donut topped with chocolate icing and chopped Reese's peanut butter chips".  Here is the nutritional information from their site:

Calories - 340
Calories from fat - 150
Total fat - 17g
Saturated fat - 8g
Trans fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 360mg
Total carbohydrates - 43g
Dietary fiber - 2g
Sugar - 22g
Protein - 5g

I should mention here that I don't like bananas at all but am going to be as impartial as I can be despite that.  So, the doughnut itself surprisingly looked a lot like the picture at the top of the post, except the chopped peanut butter chips were a lot more clumped together than the picture shows.  I bit into it and noticed right away that there was a ton of filling in the doughnut.  So much so that the filling was squeezing out the bottom.  Immediately all I could taste was bananas.  I think even if I was a banana lover, the taste would have been overwhelming in relation to the rest of the flavors.  After the bananas the only other thing I could really taste was the chocolate frosting.  The peanut butter chips got almost completely lost to me.  Overall, the doughnut would probably have been really good if not for the excessive amount of filling.  Later on that day, a good friend of mine came over for our weekly Sunday dinners and I gave her the extra one I had purchased.  When she bit into it, she noticed basically the same thing with the filling and ended up squeezing some of the excess out into the garbage.  She also thought it was pretty good except for the issue with the filling.

So to wrap it up, I personally would not purchase this doughnut again because I detest bananas.  But for someone who likes bananas, it would be a good choice.  Just make sure to grab extra napkins.

*Please leave me comments about things you might want to see reviewed and I'll try to find them in my area.

No comments:

Post a Comment