Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: Taco Bell Chicken Flatbread and Taco Bell Limeade Sparkler

 


So today's review is for Taco Bell's newish products, the chicken flatbread and the limeade sparkler.
My husband is definitely not excitable about much.  But he's especially not excitable about food.  He's one of those strange people who views food as hardly more than sustenance.  I could cook him the best meal in the world and the best I will ever get is a "That's pretty good."  He works on the road and survives mainly on take out food.  Saturday he called me and said "Hey, you should go to Taco Bell."  Hmm.  He went on to semi-excitably tell me that he had just eaten their new chicken flatbread and that it was pretty good (which apparently in his language means AWESOME) and I should not only try it but review it for this site.  He may not be excited about food but he is definitely helpful.  So, I didn't have time to go to Taco Bell until yesterday.  

My daughter had a short day of school for back to school night and I had to work (I also work on the road and am able to take my kids with me most of the time) so I decided to treat them to fast food.  I haven't been there in forever and noticed that they have a bunch of newish things to eat and to drink.  I settled on the flatbread and a cherry limeade sparkler.  Here is the nutrition info for anyone who is interested.

Flatbread
Calories - 290
Calories from Fat -  140
Saturated Fat - 3.5g
Total Fat - 15g
Trans Fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 35mg
Sodium - 720mg
Carbohydrates - 23g
Dietary Fiber - 2g
Sugars - 5g
Protein - 15g


Cherry Limeade Sparkler (20 oz.)
Calories - 270
Calories from Fat - 0g
Saturated Fat - 0g
Total Fat - 0g
Trans Fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 160mg
Carbohydrates - 66g
Dietary Fiber - 0g
Sugars - 65g
Protein - 0g

OK, so let's start with the limeade sparkler.  Cherry limeades are pretty much my fave drink ever.  We don't have a Sonic anywhere near us but any time we travel and see one I make my husband stop to get me one.  I had really high expectations for this one from Taco Bell.  So, because it's in a clear cup you can see that it wasn't mixed very well.  The cherry syrup was kind of just hanging out on the bottom.  After stirring it vigorously for a few seconds, I took a sip.  I don't want to say that I didn't like it but I was kind of just underwhelmed.  I can't exactly put my finger on why.  I guess the best I can come up with is that the cherry syrup was just very fake tasting and there wasn't enough lime.  I would probably order it again if I went to Taco Bell if only because I heart limeades so much.

Now, the chicken flatbread was another story.  I was kind of skeptical because it's only $.99 but I was actually pleasantly surprised.  The flatbread was a little bit mushy for my taste with no crunchy edges whatsoever but the chicken was surprisingly realistic tasting and the sauce they put on the whole thing was awesome.  It's kind of spicy but not overwhelmingly so.  The cheese was nice and melty and blended well with the chicken and the sauce.  There wasn't enough filling but that's to be expected for a dollar.  I would definitely order one of these when I go back to Taco Bell.  I might actually ask my husband to bring one home for me when he goes there.















It looks kind of gross in the pictures I took but this was an extra one my husband brought home for me to take pictures of (I forgot again) and it was only warmish and an hour or so old.  

All in all, for really cheap fast food I was pretty content.  If they would come out with more stuff like this I might be more inclined to go there more.  I'm usually kind of grossed out by Taco Bell food, especially the meat but if they keep adding things like this I'd definitely feel less skeeved by their food products.  

*Again, if there's anything you guys want me to review, let me know.  Also, if you want me to skip the nutrition information, let me know.  It's a pain in the ass to find sometimes and I don't know if anyone actually cares or wants to know how many calories are in their junk food.  

No comments:

Post a Comment