Friday, September 17, 2010

Review: Entemann's Pancake Pockets - Chocolate and Maple Flavors














So, for my first post, let's jump right into a review.

Yesterday, as I was browsing around my local Shop Rite, I came across a new product by the good folks at Entenmann's.  They're called Pancake Pockets.  The package called out to me from an end display shelf and I found myself reaching for them, both curious and appalled.  They come in three flavors: strawberry, chocolate, and maple.  I decided to try the maple, since it's one of my favorite flavors on the planet, and the chocolate, because who doesn't love chocolate?  Each box contains six pockets.  Here are the basic product specs for those of you who are interested:
Chocolate
Calories - 170
Calories from Fat - 30
Total Fat - 3.5g
Saturated Fat - 1g
Trans Fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 40mg
Sodium - 220mg
Carbohydrate - 33g
Dietary Fiber - 1g
Sugars - 19g
Protein - 2g

Maple
Calories - 170
Calories from Fat - 30
Total Fat - 3.5g
Saturated Fat - 0.5g
Trans Fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 40mg
Sodium - 210mg
Total Carbohydrate - 33g
Dietary Fiber - less than 1g
Sugars - 19g
Protein - 2g

I dropped my daughter off at school this morning and came home, eager to try my new breakfast treat.  The package instructs you to heat them up for 10 seconds each in the plastic wrapper.  Since I had two pockets to try, I opted to heat them up for 15 seconds together.  They came out lukewarm to the touch.  This is where things get interesting.  I decided to try the chocolate flavor first.  I bit into the pancake and I guess I expected the filling to be somewhat solid, like the chocolate in a chocolate croissant or fudge but what I got was an oddly flavored hot fudge sundae topping.  It wasn't quite as runny as chocolate syrup but definitely wasn't as solid as I was expecting.  The chocolate also didn't taste like it was actually chocolate, more like chocolate flavored  filling.  The pancake itself tasted more like an over processed pancake flavored cake than an actual pancake.  It didn't even taste as "real" as the frozen pancakes you can get in the supermarket.  I couldn't even bring myself to finish the entire thing, which is roughly the width of a soda can.














I was more optimistic for the maple, however.  Since it's one of my favorite flavors, I figured it couldn't be too bad.  Wrong.  The pancake itself obviously tasted the same, but the filling had that same weird consistency.  It was much thicker and gooier than maple syrup.  It resembled the taste of maple syrup but while the box claimed it was made with real maple syrup, I can't quite figure out where they might have hidden it.  I didn't finish this one either and opted to let my dog participate in the taste test also.  He enjoyed it but that's not saying too much.  He eats poop too and seems to enjoy that. 

So here are my final comments.  I would definitely not purchase these again nor would I recommend these to anyone.  I guess they might be good for busy moms trying to get their kids to eat something before school.  I might keep the two boxes I have just for the purpose but other than that, I really can't imagine someone genuinely liking the flavors or consistencies of these things.

*Please leave me comments about things you might like to see reviewed and I'll try to find them in my area.

No comments:

Post a Comment